Pages

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tomato Soup with Garlic Mozzarella Ciabatta

Since we're leaving in September, I figured I couldn't feed TENEMBI muffins, cakes and tarts for years, so I am now learning to cook. I never did before because I didn't like it that much and because I thought that sweets where the only edible thing I could do perfectly.



A few months ago, I developed my own pasta recipe, actually salsa recipe which I adore and would eat each and every single day. That was the one single thing I could cook well and without any help. Two weeks ago, when my mom went on a business trip for the weekend, I had to cook for me and my dad. Dad loved everything I'd made and that's when it hit me: I am almighty, I can cook anything!


Yeah, well this week that kind of changed. I made some cupcakes for a present and I hated them, they were too dry, too sweet and the frosting was horrible. Everyone else loved them but I didn't. So I thought: try again, fail better. Well guess what, I didn't fail! I made the most incredible looking and tasting soup! Even though it can't be compared to muffins, it's still something. This is my first soup EVER and it was a total win! And I think I'm on the highway to cooking success.


I'm looking for easy to make and to learn, tasteful and also special, different recipes for whatever I'm cooking. I won't be making a vegetable soup or chicken barbeque very soon, so expect some exotic foods. This one was very easy to make, I admit I used canned tomatoes because I was too lazy to boil real, healthy ones, but it's OK the first time...



Here's what you need for about 4 servings:
1200 gr canned tomatoes
3 tablespoons sugar
300 ml vegetable stock (I used Maggi vegetable stock powder + warm water)
6 tablespoons Mascarpone cheese

Crutons:
1 medium ciabatta bread
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
some grated mozzarella cheese

1. Put the canned tomatoes, sugar and vegetable stock in a medium pot and boil for 5-10 minutes.
2. Using a food processor, blend your soup together with the mascarpone cheese and then return it to the pot.

Minutes before serving, start making the crutons.

1. Cut the ciabatta bread into long strips and place them on the grill of your oven, over about 180 C/450 F, until a bit toasted.
2. Remove from the oven, and don't turn the heat down. Scrub the garlic on the toasted ciabatta, then place the bread in a small pan. Cover all the crutons with the grated mozzarella and place the pan back in the oven until melted.

Serve the soup with some basil and mint for decor, although I found the blend fresh and soothing at the same time. Serve them all warm, together with a glass of gin tonic.

Mmm, that bland aroma of garlic, mint and sweet tomato, topped with the tonic... Try it!

Bon appétit!

If you liked this article, follow TO BAKE OR TO BURN on FACEBOOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comment, Handsome!